Skip to main content

San Juan In Fourteen Hours

It was a long drive from San Jose, Tarlac to San Juan, La Union, we reached Cube-O-Grill at half past nine in the evening where our friend Maria Antonia was treating us to dinner. It was her birthday month and it was the perfect opportunity for us to see her hometown. San Juan is popular among surfers because of its huge waves and its proximity to Manila. Oh, but we didn't come for the waves, we came for the Bagnet!
We spent the night at the charmingly rustic Final Option Beach Resort, yes, it is called Final Option. The sea breeze and the sound of the waves lulled me to sleep, the kind of sleep that didn't have dreams, it was the best I've had in years.
The following morning was relaxed, a morning stroll at the beach and late breakfast. After our usual banter, we packed our bags and started the road adventure back to Manila.

San Jose to San Juan

Late dinner at Cube-O-Grill.

Oh, we didn't come for the waves, we came for the Bagnet! (photo by Marita Nagar)

Charmingly rustic, Final Option Beach Resort (yes, the resort is named Final Option)

Morning stroll. (photo by Maryann Galeno)

Kahuna's beach front.

Stopping for some cold tea at Moonleaf.




Surf board post-its.

I forgot what flavour I got, but I finished it in two minutes.




Comments

  1. Ang cute nong bed na may mosquito net ^_^, sorry po for asking, naka-aircon po ba yong cottage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Glen, this particular cottage does not have air conditioning, breeze from the sea kept it cool :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10 Rainy Day Food Cravings

What is it with the rain and food? The heavier the downpour, the bigger the craving, and if you don’t give in to your cravings, you’ll be twisting and turning the whole night counting pork buns in your head. Here are ten of my rainy day cravings; savory, protein packed goodness, best eaten warm with a giant glass of Coca Cola. Aaahh, happiness. Ryu's Tantanmen , nothing beats hot ramen on a rainy night. Tim Ho Wan's Pork Buns, something worth lining up for and going out for on a rainy afternoon. Rain or shine, you just can't get enough of Lugang's Xiao Long Bao . Parmigiano's Lobster Pasta at Resort's World, perfect pre-movie dinner. Craving of cravings, Crispy Pata ! Best I've tasted was from Kinabuch in Puerto Princesa, Palawan. Peppermill's Bagnet , crunchy and tender at the same time with a yummy sweet and spicy bagoong dip. Rainy night comfort combo, Poppin's Beef Salpicao , pilaf rice a...

The Cojuangco Ancestral House

Our next journey takes us to a historic town in Bulacan, thirty minutes north of Manila. My road trip buddies, my college friends who all share with me the same fascination for heritage houses were privileged by an invitation from Melecio Cojuangco to visit their ancestral house in Malolos. Mel, his cousin in law Marissa Lopa, Rima Datuin and Evelyn Bautista  and I discovered each other's funny bone   because of our love for the ice cream served in a huge bowl at Peninsula Manila's lobby. One evening, to justify our appetite, we pretended it was my birthday and we had the string quartet play happy birthday for me, from then on, we became good friends. Mel's grandfather,  Jose Cojuangco  was born at the Malolos house, very near the Barasoain Church. Jose's mother traded rice from Nueva Ecija, sacks transported by boat via the river at the back of the kamalig to Binondo, Manila. Like most turn of the century houses, the Cojuangco house uses piedra china ...

The Ariel Power Gel Wash

As a fashion designer, I'm often asked on how to care for clothes. Every now and then, I come across new discoveries; mild soaps, detergents, bleaches, fabric softeners, and fabric sprays. One day, I got a call from a friend, inviting me to join a forum on fabric care and a wash test with Ariel's new Power Gel. I was excited about the new product because I heard it was much better than powder detergent. We like to keep our white shirts white, and our black shirts really black. Black has been my uniform for obvious reasons, and I like to keep them looking new for a long time. I was happy to see Bianca Intal , Liz Uy , Darla Sauler , Rex Atienza , and Tessa Valdes at the launch. We all had the same concerns in proper clothes washing, and we were all just too glad with our great find, Ariel Power Gel . Bianca Gonzalez-Intal Kris TV Head Writer Darla Sauler Stylist and Digital Curator for Style Singapore  Liz Uy Interior Designer and Red Cross Governor T...