Skip to main content

The Makati Garden Club Visits Ito Curata

It was officially summer in Manila, the ladies of the Makati Garden Club has brought out their pretty picture hats on the day of our appointed visit to fashion designer Ito Curata's Italian style villa, south of the metropolis.
The garden club has been visiting beautiful homes and gardens, broadening their knowledge of horticulture. One of their recent trips was to Gawad Kalinga's Enchanted Farm, upon my suggestion to Tita Marilou Laurena. She and the other members were so happy with the excursion that they asked me again to recommend other places to visit. For their southern route, my fellow Batangueno and kumpadre, Ito happily welcomed us to his elegant abode. Two hours were not enough to savor the art and family love of Ito's home. We were also met by his life partner Bob Miller who never fails to amaze me with his positive insights about life. Their son Taj wowed the ladies, politely conversing and helping entertain. Ito's lovely mother who just had an eye procedure happily joined us as well.
I'm wishing there are more days like this, much like a good book or movie, relaxing.. enriching.


A beautiful trove of fashion knowledge, Ito's library.


The Makati Garden Club ladies enjoying crab and tuna sandwiches, and red iced tea.




Bilo-bilo or what we call in Batangas - Pinindot

Sonya Garcia and Ito Curata


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Valera

A couple of years ago, Roselyn Tiangco brought me her mother's Ramon Valera bridal trousseau and asked if we can cut the train and use it for her wedding gown. It was a Philippine terno in ivory satin, with bugle beads cascading down the front like waterfalls and a 5 meter train trimmed with Guipure lace and tons of pearls. I was aghast with the thought - no, I wouldn't dare desecrate a Valera. Roselyn and I agreed not to touch the vintage gown, we collaborated instead on simple Dior inspired gown for her wedding.
Early this year, Roselyn's mom Mrs. Linda Tiangco brought the Valera gown again, this time it would be for her wedding anniversary. The 50 year old gown gown still fits her perfectly but the bodice was already discolored and some parts of the train were moth eaten. Mrs. Tiangco told me to take my time to study the gown and see what I can do with it. For a month or so, I was just looking at the gown on the dress form, hoping Mrs. Tiangco would change her mind and…

Yes Meding, Grapes Grow In The Philippines!

I got a viber message from my friend Dom Hernandez asking if I'm free Monday for a day trip to La Union to look at vineyards. My first response was "we grow grapes in the Philippines?" and he replied with a photograph of three happy people clowning under the grape vines. I immediately marked my calendar and moved a few appointments to the evening. This was my kind of trip, only Julie Andrews can stop me from going.
The visit to the vineyards was arranged by the Department of Agriculture. The department's charming undersecretary Berna Romulo-Puyat invited food writers and wine connoisseurs to look at the many possibilities of these locally grown grapes. Avelino Lomboy started planting grapes in Bauang, La Union in the 70s. President Corazon Aquino visited in 1988, picking grapes herself from Mr. Lomboy's lovely vineyard. Today, there are more vineyards in La Union. You can see them in between mango orchards and tobacco plantations. The province has wisely diversifi…

The Cojuangco Ancestral House

Our next journey takes us to a historic town in Bulacan, thirty minutes north of Manila. My road trip buddies, my college friends who all share with me the same fascination for heritage houses were privileged by an invitation from Melecio Cojuangco to visit their ancestral house in Malolos. Mel, his cousin in law Marissa Lopa, Rima Datuin and Evelyn Bautista and I discovered each other's funny bonebecause of our love for the ice cream served in a huge bowl at Peninsula Manila's lobby. One evening, to justify our appetite, we pretended it was my birthday and we had the string quartet play happy birthday for me, from then on, we became good friends. Mel's grandfather, Jose Cojuangco was born at the Malolos house, very near the Barasoain Church. Jose's mother traded rice from Nueva Ecija, sacks transported by boat via the river at the back of the kamalig to Binondo, Manila. Like most turn of the century houses, the Cojuangco house uses piedra china stones for the ground …