Skip to main content

Homecoming Queen

Biboy Arboleda and I have been friends for more than a decade now, often I would hear his stories about his mother, Mamang Cely who lives in New York. The groovy kind of Mom, Mamang is the type who goes out to smoke and exchange banter with her children's friends. This year, she decided to come home for Christmas and stay for good. It was happy news for all of us.
There is nothing like a mother's warm embrace, no matter what age you are. This Christmas, Biboy is truly home.

We call it Xanadu, Deo Endrinal's beautiful home.

Deo Endrinal hosted the welcome dinner for Mamang Cely.

Kris Aquino and Mamang Cely

Coco Martin and Mamang Cely

Meeting Mamang Cely for the first time.


Filipino favorites - Spicy Crabs, Lechon, Kare-kare and Ube Panna Cotta

Clockwise - The author, Biboy Arboleda, Joel Mercado, Dale de la Cruz, Mitch and Jaki Po

Clockwise - Jojo Saguin, Song Medina, Biboy Arboleda, John Lapus, Ruel Bayani and Mamang Cely

Dale de la Cruz, Joel Mercado and Biboy Arboleda

Biboy Arboleda, Mamang Cely, Mylene Dizon and Agot Isidro

Biboy and his Mamang

Mamang Cely and her family


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Rainy Day Food Cravings

What is it with the rain and food? The heavier the downpour, the bigger the craving, and if you don’t give in to your cravings, you’ll be twisting and turning the whole night counting pork buns in your head. Here are ten of my rainy day cravings; savory, protein packed goodness, best eaten warm with a giant glass of Coca Cola. Aaahh, happiness. Ryu's Tantanmen , nothing beats hot ramen on a rainy night. Tim Ho Wan's Pork Buns, something worth lining up for and going out for on a rainy afternoon. Rain or shine, you just can't get enough of Lugang's Xiao Long Bao . Parmigiano's Lobster Pasta at Resort's World, perfect pre-movie dinner. Craving of cravings, Crispy Pata ! Best I've tasted was from Kinabuch in Puerto Princesa, Palawan. Peppermill's Bagnet , crunchy and tender at the same time with a yummy sweet and spicy bagoong dip. Rainy night comfort combo, Poppin's Beef Salpicao , pilaf rice a...

The Cojuangco Ancestral House

Our next journey takes us to a historic town in Bulacan, thirty minutes north of Manila. My road trip buddies, my college friends who all share with me the same fascination for heritage houses were privileged by an invitation from Melecio Cojuangco to visit their ancestral house in Malolos. Mel, his cousin in law Marissa Lopa, Rima Datuin and Evelyn Bautista  and I discovered each other's funny bone   because of our love for the ice cream served in a huge bowl at Peninsula Manila's lobby. One evening, to justify our appetite, we pretended it was my birthday and we had the string quartet play happy birthday for me, from then on, we became good friends. Mel's grandfather,  Jose Cojuangco  was born at the Malolos house, very near the Barasoain Church. Jose's mother traded rice from Nueva Ecija, sacks transported by boat via the river at the back of the kamalig to Binondo, Manila. Like most turn of the century houses, the Cojuangco house uses piedra china ...

The Ariel Power Gel Wash

As a fashion designer, I'm often asked on how to care for clothes. Every now and then, I come across new discoveries; mild soaps, detergents, bleaches, fabric softeners, and fabric sprays. One day, I got a call from a friend, inviting me to join a forum on fabric care and a wash test with Ariel's new Power Gel. I was excited about the new product because I heard it was much better than powder detergent. We like to keep our white shirts white, and our black shirts really black. Black has been my uniform for obvious reasons, and I like to keep them looking new for a long time. I was happy to see Bianca Intal , Liz Uy , Darla Sauler , Rex Atienza , and Tessa Valdes at the launch. We all had the same concerns in proper clothes washing, and we were all just too glad with our great find, Ariel Power Gel . Bianca Gonzalez-Intal Kris TV Head Writer Darla Sauler Stylist and Digital Curator for Style Singapore  Liz Uy Interior Designer and Red Cross Governor T...