Skip to main content

Healing A Burnout


burn·out
ˈbərnˌout
noun
  1. 1
    the reduction of a fuel or substance to nothing through use or combustion.
    "good carbon burnout"
  2. 2
    physical or mental collapse caused by overwork or stress.
    "high levels of professionalism that may result in burnout"

Hours before my vacation, at the St. Luke's Medical Centre emergency room.

One beautiful wedding after another, December and January are Manila's wedding-est season. As the radiant bride marches down the aisle, I head back to the atelier to check on the next batch of bridal gown and bride's maids' dresses, each beaded neckline, each hem fold. I've already cut back on accepting orders as age has been catching up on me, but my obsession for the perfect fit and fall of a dress has kept me glued to the workshop till Dr. Love signs off on the radio. I've postponed going back to the gym and I've rewarded myself with food after my work hours. In a wink, I've become overweight, my clothes wouldn't fit me and I dread going to events because dressing up has become a contact sport for me. Black tee-shirts, gartered shorts and slip on shoes became my most reliable allies.

February, I usually get to relax a bit. Every year or two, Kris Aquino, my dear friend with the most fabulous of hearts, treats her family and close friends to equally fabulous destinations. I was very excited because this year, we were going back to Japan. Our itinerary included Ito City, Hakone and Tokyo. Ito is known for its onsens, I could already imagine soaking in hot spring waters without a worry in the world, I felt my fat disintegrating!

A week to our departure date, I was still working on a few more orders, I was sleeping four hours a night. I was counting on the six days in Japan to rejuvenate me. Alas, the day before my flight I was coughing so bad my stomach hurt. As evening came and my coughing continued, I started having stomach cramps. It was so painful, I decided to go to St. Luke's half crying in pain, half crying with the thought of not going to Japan. I was given a pain killer shot and nebulized twice. I was physically and emotionally fatigued, I was burned out. At 4am, I was given clearance by the doctor. I made a quick stop to the drugstore for antibiotics, a quick fill at the gas station and a quick bath. I made it to the airport for my 7am flight to Narita with a few minutes to fix the things I threw inside my hand carried bag and have a bowl of warm rice porridge.

Japan was beautiful and the hot spring waters did wonders to my body pains. It was a thrill to see cherry trees starting to bloom and I chanced upon a traditional Japanese wedding at the Meiji Shrine. These were all healing but the knowledge that I was cared for and loved, healed everything else. One must take time to hold hands, to hug, to put a hand over a shoulder, to laugh over nothing, to share a burger, to say thank you and I love you. It heals.

Thank you Krisy for making me a part of your happy birthday celebration in Japan. It's always a joy to be with you and your two boys. It gives me pride too that you've raised them so well, seeing how respectful they are to strangers and how loving they are to your friends.
Thank you as well, Dom and KatrinaJuan, and Pam for allowing me to walk slower and for bearing with my loud snore. Love, love, love.


First signs of Spring.

Our home for the first two days, Seizan Yamato.











First sight of the magnificent Mt. Fuji.

From size XXXL to L, Joshua is the man to emulate for discipline and dedication to getting healthy.


Fun becomes hilarious with Pam Pamintuan.

Katrina Chua-Hernandez, Bimby Aquino Yap, Joshua Aquino and the author.

Relax mode with Bimby and Joshua at Gotemba.

Our home for the third and fourth days, Hyatt Regency Hakone Resort and Spa.


A 'haori' is worn over the yukata or tanzen. It is short in length, and has rather large sleeve-pockets to allow the sleeves of your yukata or tanzen to fit in easily and your arms to move smoothly. This haori also serves as a coat. The tabi are Japanese-style socks.



My Ash Wednesday breakfast.



Our happy crew, (from left to right) Katrina and Dom Hernandez, Kris Aquino, Bimby Aquino Yap, Joshua Aquino, the author, Pam Pamintuan and Juan Sarte.

Keeping warm in Bench's Albertus Swanepoel bonnet/caps.


Our home for the last 3 days of our vacation, Park Hyatt Tokyo, Shinjuku.

Bath with a view!


Yoyogi Park.

Meiji Shrine


I had the chance to meet up and enjoy Yoyogi Park with Tokyo based fashion model and old friend, Tetta Ortiz-Matera.

The wishing tree at the Meiji Shrine.


Details of the Meiji Shrine door.

It was a real treat to see a traditional Japanese wedding at the Meiji Shrine.

Simply Kris, on a Metro ride to Ginza.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The House Of Dr. Luis Santos

Our tour of Malolos continues, from the Cojuangco ancestral house  http://myrefrigeratordoor.blogspot.com/2014/05/the-cojuangco-ancestral-house.html , our gracious host  Melecio Cojuangco  brought us to the house of Dr. Luis Santos. Mel arranged the visit with one of the heirs of Dr. Santos,  George Imperial . From the outside, one would already be in awe of the sheer size of the house. The house was built in 1933, according to the marker by the gate. Upon entering, you will marvel at the grand staircase, the expansive receiving room and the foyer filled with hard bound medical books and mementos of Dr. Santos' career as a well loved doctor in this town. The second floor was something else, as our group slowly ascended the magnificent staircase, my heart literally skipped a beat at the sight of the ceiling mural and Art Deco details. We found out later that the mural was painted by the great  Fernando Amorsolo  himself. There was a private chapel in honour of Our Lady of Lourdes

Bespoke Dining At Denlim's Kitchen

I first heard of Denlim's Kitchen from my friend Boboy Consunji . Boboy posted photos of the Denlim's pugon liempo  (pork belly roasted in a brick stove) on Facebook, and it caused me a couple of sleepless nights.  Dennis Lim , the chef and owner serves only one group a night, and dinner is booked nine months in advance. One day, I got a call from Boboy, there was a booking cancelation and he was lucky to get the slot. Excited for the big feast, I walked Mega Mall from end to end, and ate in small portions three days before our appointed day. Denlim's is in San Fernando, Pampanga, a two hour drive from the metro. Boboy, a Kapampangan was our living Waze and historian, we didn't have trouble looking for the place. Free of corkage, we each brought a bottle of red wine, my good friend  James Reyes , and Noel Orosa . We were a happy group of twelve, Boboy's friends. Each dish personally served by Dennis were wiped out in minutes. I especially loved the bread ser

The Cojuangco Ancestral House

Our next journey takes us to a historic town in Bulacan, thirty minutes north of Manila. My road trip buddies, my college friends who all share with me the same fascination for heritage houses were privileged by an invitation from Melecio Cojuangco to visit their ancestral house in Malolos. Mel, his cousin in law Marissa Lopa, Rima Datuin and Evelyn Bautista  and I discovered each other's funny bone   because of our love for the ice cream served in a huge bowl at Peninsula Manila's lobby. One evening, to justify our appetite, we pretended it was my birthday and we had the string quartet play happy birthday for me, from then on, we became good friends. Mel's grandfather,  Jose Cojuangco  was born at the Malolos house, very near the Barasoain Church. Jose's mother traded rice from Nueva Ecija, sacks transported by boat via the river at the back of the kamalig to Binondo, Manila. Like most turn of the century houses, the Cojuangco house uses piedra china stones f